Saturday, April 2, 2016

Trailer repairs

Part of owning a trailer, especially a used one, is keeping up with average maintanence and doing repairs of things that don't seem like big deals but actually are.

One repair I've done is to run weather stripping around the escape and mangers doors to try and prevent water from leaking in and causing rust.  I also ran silicon around the gap between the wood that replaced the rust out mangers to prevent hay/grain/dirt/water from entering the dressing room and causing the wood to decay and the walls to rust.



After every big storm I run out to the trailer and run my hands down the walls to check for leaks.


Another repair I did myself was to purchase Rustoleum paint and to sponge roller white rust resistant paint on the roof and manger areas to stop any rust from continuing to get worse and to freshen it up.



I also ordered butt bar covers to give Stella something to poop on, I mean lean on.  I still need to do another coat of the rust paint on the roof as well as the rest of the metal parts, and I have a different paint for the wood on the walls and divider.  I think the paint really freshens the trailer up!

Something I had done was have the trailer rewired.  Most of the wiring was circa 1980s and some of the repairs were very hack job and "creative" I.E. housing conduit to attempt to rewire the brakes.  



 In this picture you can see some of the rust on the plug, as well as the housing conduit spliced into the trailer wiring harness.  Yikes!!!!  I think this was done when the axles were replaced on the trailer?  The rest of the wiring appear to be original.


Here you can see the corrosion on the trailer plug, as well as what was supposed to be a temporary until we can get a better repair done job splicing the wiring together.



I purchased the main wiring harness at an RV place, although it would have been cheaper but slower to order the part online, and I bought the wiring by the foot at Home Depot. 

All of these repairs were necessary but not an emergency (although the wiring really needed to be done) and were mostly hidden when I purchased the trailer.  I have a few other things to do over the summer to freshen things up a bit and I'll post pictures as I do them.  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a clever re-wire! I have never heard of rustoleum paint...I'm making a mental note for my future trailer purchase :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a big rust issue you need to sand and then paint with a rust converter first, if it's a small issue Rustoleum works fine. It's an oil based paint that doesn't let the rust bleed through and protects your metal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant story -Inspiring to a newbie cyclist and a fantastic message for me as a mother not to use the children as an ‘excuse’ not to do stuff. But too often we are manipulated and driven by fears that lock us in cages and make us follow irrational choices. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Going Pro, part II

So, I promised you a video of Stella's dressage test with THE PRO.  Sadly my phone is a disagreeable sort and ejected the video out the ...